Friday, April 27, 2007

Friday night bust...

OK - it's Friday night at 11pm, I'm in Amsterdam - so why am I in my hotel room you ask? WELL - we got back from work early - around 5ish and i headed straight to the drug store to get doped up for this weekend. i didn't want any cold or sickness to get in my way of having fun. Little did I realize that EVERYTHING was in Dutch! The cashier had to help me pick something out and tell me how to use it. Kinda sketch right? well - I did recognize 2 of the 3 ingredients: caffeine and vitamin C....not too bad I guess. It was this pill that I'm supposed to take like Alka Seltzer. I got back to my hotel and luckily my friend Jana was online. She's a former PwC co-worker who did a tour in Dallas when I lived there. We became really close and still keep in touch even though she's back in South Africa now. Well, I told her about the medicine and told her what it was. Afrikaans is pretty similar to Dutch, so she said it was ok for me to take and that it was "Anti-Flu"...ok, good deal.

Took a nap and then got ready to meet up with my other co-workers for dinner. So here's an important note to any girl who uses the CHI...It doesn't work in Europe!!!! The voltage is different, so even if you use a converter it doesn't work. Basically I melted it (see pic to the right). I plugged it in and did some other stuff in my room then ran to the bathroom when I smelt something burn. OOPS!! That kinda bummed me out but what're you gonna do. Lesson learned - oh well, curly hair it is!

Met up w/one of our IT auditors, Shannon, and another new guy, Francisco, another freakishly tall Mexican like Rafael. As a side note - both Shannon and Francisco are married...not sure how they can do that with all this travel! Alright, back to the story. We were all pretty hungry so we hit up the square again and settled on an Italian place. Francisco was the most aggressive out of all of us when it came to getting something to eat, so we just let him decide. We ordered our food and he was sooo picky with his order! The waitress was like WTF?! well, I wasn't much better...we also ordered a bottle of wine - I just read the descriptions and picked one that I thought would be kinda fruity. Some guy brought over a bottle (they were only by the bottle) and let me try it. I wasn't a big fan and Shannon tried it too - she wasn't feeling it so we asked the guy to bring us a different wine. I can't believe I did that. I think that's a pretty big Faux Pas...but whatev. I woulda ended up having to drink the whole bottle by myself since it was just me and Shannon drinking for the most part. I still ended up drinking half the bottle.

So we all chatted a bit, got to know some of the people - everyone was really nice. Turns out that Shannon's hubby is from Bama and went to Tuskegee so we had a lot to talk about! Small world I swear.


By the time we left the restaurant, it got pretty chilly and Shannon wanted her jacket. We were close enough to the hotel that we decided to walk back and grab it real quick. The boys decided that they wanted to stay and hang out in the Square and that they'd just meet us there when we got back. SHOCKER - when we got back to the square 10 mins later, we couldn't find them. We walked around, couldn't see them and then Shannon wanted to hit up an Australian's (ice cream store). We went there, she got a Strawberry ice cream - I had to refrain becuase of my "cold". On our walk back to the square, her ice cream cone broke in half! She caught it in her hand and proceeded to KEEP EATING! It was the funniest thing and I couldn't stop laughing. This pink ice cream got all over her shirt, her jacket and on her hand but she was so engrossed in her ice cream that she kept on at it! See picture below ;-)



She finally finished her ice cream and then we headed to McDonald's (aka - the "universal bathroom" as Shannon called it) so she could clean up. Made another round in the square to look for the guys and after we couldn't find them, decided to head back to the hotel. She was tired and since I was still sick, we decided to save our energy for the weekend's festivities. So that's why it's not almost midnight and I'm in my hotel room about to go to bed. Gotta get up at 7am to hit up the Anne Frank House and then to Mike's Bike Tour at noon. The weather should be great so I'm pumped!!


Goedenacht!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

You could try to get a plug at a luggage shop that also converts the voltage... for your 110V appliance to work with a 220V power supply... I had to do the opposite when we came to Dallas... because my South African hair dryer was blowing like a gentle breeze with the 110V... ;-)
Jana